British Nationality and UK Settlement Visa

The Ultimate UK Residence Card Guide

What is UK Residence Card?

A Residence Card of a family member of a Union citizen is issued to the family member to confirm this right of residence. The holder of a valid Residence Card is entitled to use this document in lieu of an entry to all EEA member states.

People usually get confused between Permanent Residence Card and Registration Certificate. Let’s learn about the difference between them

A Registration Certificate that can be used by residence of the EEA and Switzerland as proof that they are entitled to live in another EU country (including UK) under European Law. A Registration Certificate does not confer rights on the holder, it merely confirms rights that they already possess as a ‘qualified person’ exercising treaty rights.

Whereas, a Permanent Residence Card can only be obtained after a citizen of the EEA or Switzerland has been living and exercising their treaty rights in the UK for a period of five years or more.

Who should currently apply for Residence Card UK?

  • You don’t need to apply for a UK Residence Card as a family member of an EEA or Swiss national, but a Residence card can:
    • Help you re-enter the country more quickly and easily if you travel aboard.
    • Show employers you’re allowed to work in the UK.
    • Help prove you qualify for certain benefits and services.
  • You must apply for a residence card if you’re an extended family member.
  • You must apply for a derivative right of residence card if you’re the carer of an EEA Citizen or UK National, the carer’s child, or the child of a former worker from EEA and you’re currently in education.

What is the Eligibility for UK residence card?

You can apply for a residence card if you’re both:

  • From outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
  • The family member, or extended family member, of an EEA national who is a permanent resident or a ‘qualified person’
  • You may also be eligible for a residence card if you have a ‘retained right of residence’ or make a ‘Surinder Singh’ application.

What is a Qualified Person?

A qualified person is someone who is in the UK and one of the following applies:

  • They’re working
  • They’re self-employed
  • They’re self sufficient
  • They’re studying
  • They’re looking for work (only if they meet certain conditions)

How long UK Residence Card lasts for?

  • A residence card usually lasts up to 5 years. However, your residence card won’t be valid after the UK leaves the EU.
  • A new scheme will be available for EU citizens and their family members to apply to stay in the UK after the UK leaves the EU.
  • If your residence card expires before the new scheme is available, you should reapply for another residence card.

Become a resident of the Queen’s own homeland with the help of The SmartMove2UK. Our expert attorneys specialized in UK immigration law will provide all the help you need to apply for your UK residence card or any other migratory permits to move/visit to the UK. Our offices are located in Mumbai, Bangalore, New Delhi, Chandigarh and London.

For further queries and clarifications, Call us on +91 98191 27002 or email us at and book your consultation appointment.

If you have any comment or want to know anything about the UK Residence Card then you can call our immigration expert – Mumbai, Delhi, Chandigarh, Bangalore and London or you can also connect with us on

Stay Informed

Receive regular updates about your UK Visa News, Guidelines, New UK Visa Law and more.

[contact-form-7 id="7471" title="uk visa newsletter sign up"]

Liked the article? You can share it too!

By The SmartMove2UK

The SmartMove2UK (a unit of SmartMove Immigration) is a niche firm of UK Immigration law in India with branches in Mumbai | Delhi | Gurgaon | Chandigarh | Vadodara | Bangalore led by a specialist Solicitor. Evolving from practicing exclusively in the areas of UK nationality and immigration law. Our expertise now encompasses a wider global mix including immigration laws of Australia, New Zealand, USA, Malta, Portugal (Golden Visa), Dominica, St. Kitts & Nevis, India and Canada.

With more than a decade of Experience providing immigration and nationality services, we offer clients a personal and friendly, yet comprehensive solution to their immigration, travel and business needs.