Recruiting international students is a great asset for UK employers as it gives them an opportunity to harness international talent equipped with UK level education. Employers intending to hire Tier 4 international students have certain responsibilities imposed on them by the Home Office in order to procure Tier 4 Student Visa UK and their failure to comply with these might result in civil and criminal penalties for them.

While employing these students the employers have to be extremely mindful of:

1. Whether or not those students have the right to work in the UK

2. Whether their right to work is conditional or unlimited

Most Tier 4 international students are allowed to take up temporary employment during their leave to remain in the UK to the extent which their course of study allows.

  • Tier 4 Child students above the age of 16 years and students enrolled in full time below degree level courses (RQF level 6 and equivalents) can apply for Student Visa UK have permission to work for a maximum of 10 hours per week on a part-time basis during course time and full-time during vacations.
  • Tier 4 international students enrolled in full-time degree level courses (RQF level 6 or above) and students who are enrolled in short term study abroad programmes with overseas HEIs are permitted to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week on a part-time basis during course time and full-time during vacations.

3. Whether they are allowed to fill that position or not

Tier 4 students are not allowed to take up employment as:

  • a doctor or dentist in training (except on a recognised foundation programme)
  • a professional sportsperson or coach (except for amateur coaching and playing for charitable causes)
  • an entertainer (except if it is a part of their course of study)
  • be self-employed (except where you are awaiting a decision on an application you have made for leave to remain as a Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur)
  • a full-time permanent employment (except as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer or under a recognised foundation programme)

Tier 4 international students are permitted to take up full-time employment mainly when they are applying to switch to a Tier 2 visa after the completion of their course or when they are on a Doctorate Extension Programme (DES).

Our UK Immigration experts provide advise and assistance on UK Immigration matters to companies and individuals, if you have a UK visa query or require any information on UK visas you can contact us on [fusion_tooltip title=”Email to” class=”” id=”” placement=”top” trigger=”hover”][/fusion_tooltip]; alternately please feel free to fill in your details in the form below and one of our experts will get in touch with you at the earliest. Need a faster response? Call us on +91 98191 27002.


Thank you for subscribing!!
There was an error trying to send your message. Please try again later.