Who can apply for UK Spouse Visa?
In order to be eligible for the Spouse Visa UK, the applicant is required to meet the UK Spouse Visa requirements laid out by the immigration laws. These requirements state that the applicant and the sponsor must both:
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Not be related to each other in a way that would be impermissible for marriage according to the UK Law;
- Have met in person;
- Be in a genuine and subsisting relationship;
- Be in a valid marriage or civil partnership in accordance with the UK law (if married or in a civil partnership);
- Meet the suitability requirements;
The sponsor can be either:
- A British citizen or
- A settled person in the UK (they must have the ‘Indefinite Leave to Remain’ or proof of permanent residence); or
- A holder of refugee status or under humanitarian protection in the UK
Note: UK spouse visa rules provide that if the applicant is in the UK with permission to work then their income can also be considered to meet the requirement. Savings held by the applicant can also be considered.
UK Spouse Visa requirements further entail that the sponsor:
- Meet the gross annual income threshold of at least £18,600 or alternatively provide evidence for savings of £62,500.
- Provide adequate accommodation in accordance with the UK housing space standards.
Note: UK Spouse Visa rules provide that if the applicant is in the UK with permission to work then their income can also be considered to meet the total income requirement. Savings held by the applicant can also be considered.
UK Spouse Visa requirements state that the applicant must:
- Meet the English language requirement;
- Have taken a TB test (if they are from a country on the Home Office’s list of prescribed countries);
- Not have any adverse immigration history (overstaying, breaching conditions, illegal entrant, using deception in an application)
- Not fall under the mandatory general grounds of refusal.
Both applicant and sponsor are required to prove that they:
UK immigration Rules are subject to change. If you would require advice specific to your UK Spouse Visa circumstances, call our UK Immigration experts on +91 98191 27002 or email us at email@example.com
How to apply for a UK Spouse Visa
The applicant needs to make a UK spouse visa application to the Home Office. The applicant can make this application from overseas or from within the UK [subject to meeting the requirements].
The applicant, sponsor or their representative is required to complete an online application form, an appendix and provide the relevant supporting evidence in support of the application. They are required to pay the UK spouse visa fee and Immigration Health Surcharge as part of the process.
Home Office rules as of 2018 require that the applicant, sponsor or their representatives send all documents to the visa processing office in Sheffield by courier. The applicants are required to submit their biometrics and Passport to the local Visa Facilitation Service (VFS).
How long does the UK Spouse visa application take?
The current processing times as of November 2017 for UK Spouse visa are:
- Within 12 weeks if you apply outside the UK
- Within 8 weeks if you apply in the UK
If the applicant has applied for spouse visa extension, the applicant can avail the premium service and receive a decision on the same day.
Note: You will be contacted by the UKVI Home Office if your application is complex and it is likely to take longer.
English Language requirement to get a UK spouse visa in 2018?
According to UK Immigration rules, applicants for UK spouse visa are required to provide evidence that they meet the English Language requirement. An applicant can meet the English language requirement in either of the following ways:
- The applicant can submit their degree or academic qualification which is recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree or higher.
- You have a degree or academic qualification that was taught or researched in English.
English Language test
- The applicant is required to pass the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with at least a CEFR level A1 in speaking as well as listening and provide the pass certificate.
Applicants are exempted from meeting the English language requirement if:
- The applicant is over 65
- The applicant has a physical or mental condition that prevents you from meeting the requirement.
- You are a national of a majority English speaking country.
- The applicants are being taught from a UK university and have a degree confirming the same.
Financial requirement to get a UK Spouse visa in 2018
- The minimum financial requirement for a UK Spouse visa is to evidence gross annual income of £18,600 or alternatively evidence savings of £62,500.
- In certain circumstances you may be able to combine your income with savings to meet the financial eligibility requirement.
- The decision makers cannot exercise any discretion or flexibility with regard to the level of the financial requirement that must be met.
Renewal of UK Spouse Visa
The applicant after completion of 30 months, can further apply for UK spouse visa extension and can stay for an additional 30 months which can take the applicant’s total time in the UK on this visa up to five years. At the time of extension of the UK spouse visa, the applicant is required to meet the spouse visa requirements for ‘leave to remain’ in the UK. UK spouse visa extension applications can be submitted by post or by visiting the Premium Service Centres (PSC) for same day processing.
ILR UK Spouse Visa
After completion of stay on a UK Spouse Visa, applicants can then further extend their stay, given that they are still married and living in the UK with their spouse, and continue to meet the maintenance requirements. If the applicant has lived up to 5 years through extension of their spouse visa, they are eligible to apply for an Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).
If you would like to confirm your eligibility for a UK spouse Visa, or have had a UK Spouse Visa refused, you can book an appointment for an initial consultation with our UK immigration experts. Call us on +91 9819 127002 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We understand that applying for a UK Spouse Visa can be challenging given the vast amount of information on the topic. You can be free of all the hassles by opting for a full representation service.