European Union Free Movement UK Visa India

Permanent Residence: the Final Frontier according to EEA Visa UK Consultants in Delhi

We are all explorers, say our EEA UK visa consultants in Delhi. For an explorer, moving permanently to a new land is the final frontier to overcome before you can reach the life that you have always wanted, in the country that you feel is right for you.

An EEA national and their family members, who have resided in the UK continuously for five years in accordance with the EEA Regulations of 2006, can apply for Permanent Residence in the UK. The permanent residence card proves the right of the EEA national and their non-EEA family members to live in the UK permanently.

Applications for Permanent residence are made under Regulation 15 of the EEA Regulations 2006. In order to apply, applicants are required to provide evidence that:

  • they have lived with their European Economic Area (EEA) family member in the UK for a continuous 5 year period.
  • the EEA family member has been a ‘qualified person’ throughout the 5 years or has a permanent right of residence.
  • The relationship with the EEA national is a subsisting relationship as of the date of application.

Residence card in less than 5 years

Applicants can also be eligible for permanent residence before the 5-year mark if either:

  • they were living with their EEA national family member, who was working or self-employed in the UK, immediately before their death
  • EEA national family member was working or self-employed in the UK but has ‘ceased activity’ (stopped work or self-employment because of retirement or permanent incapacity, or because they are now working or self-employed in another EEA state but are still a resident of and return to the UK at least once a week)

Your residence card will not be valid after 31 December 2020. You and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you want to continue living in the UK.

Deciding to move permanently to a country away from your home country is a big decision on the personal frontier. It is the final jump to a completely different phase of your life, and hence, it’s the smart choice to take care of every detail with utmost care.

At The SmartMove2UK, our EEA UK visa consultants in Delhi have helped numerous EEA nationals, their non-EEA national family members, and extended family members to apply for their permanent residence cards. You can contact us if you are seeking legal help from EEA residence card experts in relation to your Permanent residence card application.

If you have any comment or want to know anything about EEA Permanent Residence Visa then you can connect with us on

The SmartMove2UK – New Delhi
EEA Visa UK Consultants in Delhi

8th floor, 811, Statesman House,
Barakhamba Road, Connaught Place,
New Delhi 110 001
Tel : +91 11 3044 6462
(if you are viewing from mobile, click on the nos to call directly)

We also have our branches at:

Mumbai Bangalore Chandigarh
+91 22 2850 9883 +91 11 3044 6462 +91 172 407 1522

Stay Informed

Receive regular updates about your UK Visa News, Guidelines, New UK Visa Law and more.

[contact-form-7 id="7471" title="uk visa newsletter sign up"]

Liked the article? You can share it too!

European Union Free Movement

I am a EU National how do I get Permanent Residence

Let us first understand the meaning of Permanent residence, simply put “permanent residence is the right to live permanently in a Member State irrespectively of whether the holder of the status is exercising Treaty rights as a worker, self employed person, self sufficient person, student or family member of one of these categories. In essence it takes into account the first five years of residence depend on being a worker, self employed, self sufficient, student or family member but after that the person can lose their job, cease economic activity or cease being a family member but still be entitled to reside in the Member State concerned.

Permanent residence is acquired after five continuous years of possession of the right of residence. The right of residence is possessed by a person who is exercising Treaty rights, which means moving to another Member State within the EEA other than your own and then engaging in one or more of:

  • work
  • self-employment
  • self-sufficiency and
  • student

The family members of an EEA citizen who engages in one of these activities will also qualify for permanent residence after five years.

It is important to note that absences from the UK of up to six months do not directly disqualify or prevent a person from acquiring permanent residence, for instance someone may be working in jobs that require them to be out of country for six months or they could take a career break for six months and not be employed. As a general principle anything up to six months should be acceptable and even longer can be permissible for instance maternity leave of up to 12 months should be fine.

If you would like to apply for Permanent Residence card for the EU National or the non EEA Family member then you can book an appointment with our UK Immigration experts at SmartMove2UK by calling +919819127002 or email us to book a slot.

You can also connect with us on


Thank you for subscribing!!
There was an error trying to send your message. Please try again later.