Students accepted for the privilege of study in UK universities or schools would need to apply for entry clearance through the UK Tier 4 student visa route under the PBS (Points Based System). There are different sub-categories under the UK Tier 4 visa category, these are:

  • Tier 4 Child (7 -16 years of age)
  • Tier 4 (General) for students aged 16 or above

Parents of a Tier 4 Child may accompany their children to the UK or join them at a later date by applying through ‘Parent of a Tier 4 child’ visa. This visa may be granted for 6 months or 12 months and may be extended for 1 year at a time until the child’s 12th birthday.

UK Tier 4 Visa holders or applicants, where they are enrolled in a postgraduate level course, have an option to bring in dependants (family members) to live in the UK with them. Persons considered as dependants of Tier 4 (General) student visa holders include:

  • Married or civil partners of the Tier 4 visa holder (spouse)
  • UK Unmarried partners Visa of the Tier 4 visa holder (live-in relationship)
  • Children below the age of 18 years

The Home Office requires that conclusive proof of a genuine and subsisting relationship between the UK Tier 4 Visa holder and their dependants be presented to them along with the application as far as study in the UK is concerned. The relationship is required to be evidenced through various documents in support of the same. There exist subsequent documents as an evidence of subsisting relationship.

Different sub-categories under the UK Tier 4 Visa Category for evidential documents:

Married or civil partners

  • Statements of bank accounts held jointly by them
  • NSH registration or other health insurance registration documents
  • Utility bills and council tax bills evidencing common residence

UK unmarried partners’ visa

  • Tenancy agreements for the places they have resided in for the last 2 years
  • Utility bills/ council tax bills
  • Bank statements/ credit card bills evidencing common residential address

Children below the age of 16 years

  • Birth certificate(s) of the child or children indicating the names of both the parents
  • Medical registration documents

Children above the age of 16 years residing with their parents

  • Bank statements
  • Credit card bills
  • Driving license
  • Medical registration documents
  • Letter from school or other educational institution on their official letterhead confirming the registered address of the student.

Any 2 of the above mentioned documents may be submitted as proof of common residence with the parents.

Children above the age of 16 years residing separate from their parents

  • Letter from the university or academic institution on their official letterhead confirming your enrollment with them
  • Documents evidencing financial support by parents: bank statements for the child and the parents for three last 3 months evidencing corroborating transactions.

As provided above, the specific documents required as evidence of a genuine and subsisting relationship between the Tier 4 (General) student and their dependants are extensive and extremely specific to each case. It is well-advised to seek advice and assistance from UK professional immigration advisors to determine the right set of documents to be provided in your case.

We at The SmartMove2UK have assisted hundreds of Tier 4 students to take their dependants, enabling them to have the support of their loved ones during their educational pursuits in a foreign country.

Should you require assistance, feel free to drop in your details in the form below and one of our UK Tier 4 Student Visa experts will get in touch with you at the earliest.

For further queries and clarifications, call UK Immigration experts on +91 98191 27002 or email at [fusion_tooltip title=”Email to” class=”” id=”” placement=”top” trigger=”hover”][/fusion_tooltip] and book your consultation appointment. You can find SmartMove2UK presence in Mumbai, New Delhi, Chandigarh, Bengaluru along with international boundaries extending to London.


Thank you for subscribing!!
There was an error trying to send your message. Please try again later.