Same Sex Partner Visa

Same Sex Partner Visa is a visa category for the Same Sex Partners who are neither married nor in a civil partnership. To be eligible for this category one of the Partner must be a British Citizen or settled in the UK on Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Eligibility for Same Sex UK Partner Visa

  • Both the partners must be over the age of 18 years
  • You must be able to demonstrate your relationship that you have lived together for a minimum of 2 years.
  • Your relation must be genuine and it must be akin to marriage.
  • You must meet the English Language Requirements.
  • You must demonstrate that you are capable of supporting yourself during your stay in the UK.

English Language Requirement

The applicants applying for this category must show that they have met the English Language Requirement. The applicant is required to pass the required English language test at least at Level A1 of CEFR from a provider affiliated by the UK Border Agency. The applicant will be exempted for this requirement if he/she is a national of majority English speaking country or the applicant possess a degree from a UK University.

Financial Requirement for Same Sex UK Partner Visa

For Same Sex Partner Visa financial requirement is one of the most important requirements which an applicant must meet. In order to meet this requirement the sponsor (British citizen or a person settled in the UK) must be able to demonstrate that their gross annual income is minimum £18,600.

Extension of Stay as a Same Sex Partner

The Same Sex Partners are qualified to apply for an extension of leave whether or not they are in Civil Partnership.

The rules that govern the durability and subsisting relationships will also apply at extension regardless of whether or not there was a legal ceremony. Applicants applying for Same Sex Partner Extension would have to be physically present in the UK as at the time the application is been made. At the time of application, the applicant must have a valid leave to remain in the country.

Indefinite Leave to remain (ILR) as a Same Sex Partner Visa

The holders of the Same Sex Partner Visa who have continuously stayed in the United Kingdom for a period of 5 years will quality for Indefinite Leave to Remain.
If the applicant was granted the same sex partner visa prior to the 9th of July 2012, they can apply for settlement after a period of 2 years of continuous residence in the UK as a same sex partner. However for applications granted after that date, they will need to wait till they complete 5 years on the route before they can apply for ILR. Please note also, that the applicants will still need to meet the financial requirement to be eligible for ILR; except the applicants fall under the exceptions as specified under Appendix FM.

The SmartMove2UK and the Same Sex Partner Visa

The SmartMove2UK (a unit of Smart Move Immigration) has always expressed its support for LGBT rights. This along with our expertise all types of UK Partner Visas, including the Same Sex Partner Visa UK, makes us a good bet for all your Same Sex Partner Visa immigration solutions. For any inquiries regarding the same, or any other UK immigration options, fill in the form to the side and we shall get back to you!

Stay Informed

Receive regular updates about your UK Visa News, Guidelines, New UK Visa Law and more.

[contact-form-7 id="7471" title="uk visa newsletter sign up"]

Liked the article? You can share it too!